Introduction of Ear Tubes

I’m about a month (exactly) late on posting this but better late than never, right? After having his 2nd ear infection in less than 2 months, I found myself sitting in the pediatrician’s office yet again wondering if my once sleeping through the night baby turned waking every 2-3 hours demanding to nurse and needing a lot of upright cuddles had yet another ear infection, which making it his 3rd in less than 2 months.  Along with that, I had a few other concerns.  His babbling had become few and far between and he no longer responded to his name when we talked to him.  We got back to the room and the pediatrician had to practically put our strong little 6 month old in a straight jacket in order to see in his ears.  He said, “He definitely has fluid in his left ear but neither of which are infected.” Well great I thought but lets be honest doc, with his runny nose and productive cough, by Sunday we’ll have a full fledge ear infection and I will just be back here looking for yet another round of antibiotics that aren’t obviously doing anything.  I inquired about tubes and he said since we were coming out of flu season we should take the good ol’ “wait and see approach” and quite frankly I wasn’t all about that suggestion and I felt like we were just delaying the inevitable.  Since getting RSV in February, every time Brady got sick, he also got an ear infection.  So to say I left the pediatrician’s office frustrated was an understatement.  Knowing we didn’t need a referral, Brian and I decided it would be a good idea to get a second opinion from an ENT specialist.  I got a list of ENT’s in the area and made an appointment.  Unfortunately, the first doc I called had a wait of 3 weeks but I took the appointment anyway and hoped that he could stay ear infection free for the time being.

Fast forward to the next afternoon,  I received a call on my way to pick Brady and Makenzie up from daycare from one of Brady’s teachers saying he had a fever.  Bingo I thought.  He has another freaking ear infection I mumbled to myself when I got off the phone, it actually wasn’t so PC but I’ll refrain from that for now.  As soon as I got to daycare, I took out my phone and gave another ENT doc a call to see if he could get Brady in earlier than the other could.  They had a spot open Monday morning and I snagged it right up.

Brady had a horrific weekend of sleep that weekend I knew very well, he probably had another ear infection, just like I knew was going to happen on Thursday after we had left his pediatrician’s office.  We got to the ENT’s office bright and early and we were taken back within minutes of sitting in the waiting room.  The ENT checked both ears and said, “He’s got a double ear infection.  The right one looks much worse than the left.”  From there, Brady had a hearing test done and they also tested the pressure in his ears.  Both tests came back pretty poor.  They said he completely failed his hearing test, his right ear was flat and his left was just OK.  They also said the pressure in his ears was very high and without skipping a beat the ENT said he would highly recommend tubes.  I left the office finally feeling good that Brady would have some relief to his constant discomfort very soon.  The ENT’s scheduler called me later that day and we were able to schedule his surgery exactly a week later.

Surgery itself went fine.  It was less than five minutes and he was an angry little dragon when he woke up from the anesthesia.  It took a good 45 minutes to get him to calm down and even then the ride home was rough for everyone involved.  He was back to new the next day and I am happy to report he has started vocalizing much more, although he still isn’t saying Da, Ma, Ba, Ya, etc but he is responding to his name.  The same week of surgery he also decided that pulling up to standing is a fun thing to do and army crawling all over the place has it’s perks as well.

I’m very glad we went ahead with the surgery.  I know it can be scary when your itty bitty baby is put under general anesthesia that young but when Brian and I talked it over, we understood it was a very routine surgery and that the benefits outweighed the potential negatives. Since then, Brady has been back to his old sleeping self.  He has an early bedtime, usually between 6 and 6:30p depending on how his last nap was and when it ended and he still has his rough nights here and there but he’s still a baby and overall, it’s better.  He can hear again and he is comfortable which is great for everyone!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s