This Friday, the 25th, is my due date and in no way do I feel like I am going into labor anytime soon or on my own. I walked 5 miles today, literally. 3 miles at the gym this morning and then another 2 miles this afternoon with Brian. Aside from the castor oil, which I have absolutely zero intentions or desire to try no matter how bad I want to meet this baby, I’ve tried every “old wives tale” in the book to try to jump start labor. I still have this little bit of hope that the full moon that is happening on Sunday will set me into labor. Have you heard about that? It’s called the lunar effect, and, as far as births are concerned, the primary explanation for the effect focuses on the moon’s gravitational pull. It basically states that much the way the moon’s gravity controls the tides; it can control a woman’s body. The human body is 80 percent water, after all. And, given that both menstruation and ovulation roughly follow a lunar cycle — occurring on a monthly basis — it doesn’t seem too far off to think that the moon could have a say in childbirth as well. So would it be weird to lay on the grass Sunday night, staring at the moon, hoping for some sort of labor inducing contractions? Considering our new neighbors may be moving in this weekend it may not be the best first impression on my part. Maybe I’ll settle for sleeping with the window open and the moon shining into our bedroom.
I’ve been envisioning of what it would be like to go into labor naturally since I never got the opportunity when I was pregnant with Makenzie. I was induced at 36 weeks with her do to pre-e and the start of HELLP syndrome and had to endure Pitocin contractions for 15 hours and only ever got to 4 cm before they decided to take her emergency c-section.
This time around my OB was extremely supportive of my decision to try for a VBAC. She said I was a perfect candidate and that I had a high percentage of it being successful. At my 37+ week appointment, I was 50% effaced and 1 cm dilated. I was excited because it meant my body was doing something. I walked into my 38+ week appointment only to be disappointed to learn I hadn’t progressed at all. Still 50% effaced, 1 cm dilated and I felt like she was literally reaching for my tonsils during this check. She informed me my cervix was still pretty posterior but that can be normal and sometimes it drops right before labor starts and that it is different for everyone. She warned me that if I hadn’t made any progress by my next appointment the following week we were going to have to talk about c-section because of how she felt my pelvis was sitting.
Enter into my 39+ week appointment this past Tuesday. I was hoping for at least a 2 and more effacement but to my disappointment I was still only 1 cm and 50% effaced. At that point I tried to hide my disappointment but made her explain once again why she wouldn’t try to induce me. She said she felt my pelvis is on the small side and isn’t quite sure that the baby would even fit through. She also said because I had a prior c-section they won’t induce if the cervix isn’t favorable, which based on my stats above, it’s not. An induction usually results in Pitocin, which can bring on stronger, harder contractions that can be on top of each other, which usually means the patient gets an epidural sooner, which in return can cause labor to slow. And at the end of the day, she felt like it would probably end up in a c-section anyway.
So… with that being said we went ahead and scheduled the c/s. She said if my water breaks or I start contracting and go into labor on my own than I can try a VBAC. That’s where I start to get confused. I guess I’m not sure how that changes things?? Or maybe she is playing more on the safe side and thinks that an unfavorable cervix, plus an old c/s scar, and Pitocin all combined would be too much for my body or baby to handle?
I have 5 days to go into labor on my own or the plan is to get to hospital Tuesday afternoon and have my second c/s. Why Tuesday you ask? Well let me tell you. It’s pretty simple actually. My dear, beloved Packers play on Monday night and Brian and I want to watch the game together. We’ve planned our meal, King Crab Legs with butter, asparagus w/ toasted almonds, and twice baked potatoes. Plus probably some ice cream…. And who knows what else. Since my c/s is in the afternoon, I can’t eat or drink anything after 7:30a Tuesday morning, which isn’t great, but I’ll deal with it. Our plan is to take Makenzie to daycare and then just relax together that morning and head into the hospital after Brian eats lunch (lucky guy).
One of the L&D nurses called me today to verify a bunch of data and she was so nice and sounded excited for Tuesday. She said, “Be sure you bring your camera, I love taking pictures in the OR!” I’m also going to be trying something new this time around. Last c/s I had a curtain up and wasn’t able to see anything with regards to Makenzie being born. This time, new hospital, different procedures. My OB will make all the necessary cuts first with the regular curtain up and once they are ready for the baby to come out, they will put up a clear curtain. I thought, why not, I’ll give it a shot and watch. Brian on the other hand may have his eyes locked on me, he doesn’t do well with that sort of thing.
As I sit here tonight, I’m enduring the most contractions I’ve had in a while. They don’t have a clear pattern to them but they are present and strong. Maybe we’ll have the opportunity to try this on our own at some point this weekend or maybe not. But at the end of the day, even if this baby doesn’t come how I envisioned s/he to come that’s ok. We just want whatever is best and safest for this baby to enter the world and we’ll do whatever it takes.
Stay tuned……. 🙂