Upper Lip Tie Aftermath

Hi ho, hi ho it’s off to the Surgery Center we go.


Makenzie’s lip tie surgery came and went and I am happy to report that all is healed and she is carrying on like a normal 17 month old.

The night before the surgery I was super nervous for the next morning. Was she going to be in a lot of pain afterwards? How would she react to the anesthesia? What the heck were we going to feed her for the next 7 days? Will she mess with the stitches? All of those normal questions that would run through the mind of a parent.

Brian and I woke up at 5:15, got ready and decided that we would wake her as soon as we were ready to go. We kept her in her pi’s, brought her favorite baby, and a sippy cup of milk for afterwards. We got to the Surgery Center around 5:55 and got her all checked in. She was pretty happy considering she hadn’t had anything to eat or drink since 5:45p the night before. She walked around the waiting room in her jammies, flirted with the ladies behind the reception desk, and had some quality FaceTime with Elmo before we were called back at 6:15. The nurses were great and made Makenzie feel very comfortable along with Brian and myself. The surgery itself was only supposed to last 5-10 minutes and was to start at 7:00a. At 6:30 the anesthesiologist came back and introduced herself, told us a little bit about what to expect after surgery and warned us, “She is going to be incredibly upset and almost inconsolable. Babies usually become very agitated and crabby when they wake up from being put under.” So we both mentally prepared ourself for that.

The doc was running a little late but they started the surgery around 7:30a. Makenzie went right to the anesthesiologist and she took her back while Brian and I went to the waiting room. I think we were only waiting for 5 minutes when the nurse came back out to get us. “She’s all done and doing great,” she said.

Brian and I got up and were preparing to hear a screaming baby when we walked back there but instead we peaked our head into her little room and saw her sitting on the anesthesiologists lap, she took one look at us both and said, “HI! Hi! Hi!” Not the screaming that we had expected. Her upper lip was puffy and swollen but not terribly. She drank quite a bit of milk and sat on my lap for the next 20 minutes. The anesthesiologist and nurses all kept commenting at how great she did. Two things irritated they said, the first being that she did not want to lay down on the table for the mask so the anesthesiologist held her instead and the second was the pulse oximeter that was hooked onto her big toe. She kept trying to take her slipper sock off and repeated, “all done, all done.” They measured her O2 for about 20 minutes, the specialist came to give us an update and said they were able to get 7 small dissolvable stitches in her mouth and to limit her to a soft diet for a few days. Give Tylenol for pain and see him again in 2 weeks for a post op check. At that point we were free to go home.

We got home and she had scrambled eggs with cheese and applesauce for breakfast. She gobbled those right up and afterwards she asked to watch Buzz. Brian and I try to limit how much tv she watches, and when I say TV I’m speaking mostly about Toy Story II/III or football, but that day we decided she could watch as much as she wanted. She seemed it pretty good spirits until about 9:45a when she got a little fussy. I think a combination of anesthesia starting to wear off and being just tired from waking up so early. We gave her some Tylenol for pain and I rocked her for a little bit and she fell asleep. She took a little nap then, maybe 30 minutes, and stayed awake until lunch time. The rest of the day was pretty normal. Nap from 12-3 and then she wanted to play with her kitchen when she woke up. We played until dinner time at 5:30 and went through the normal nightly routine. Buzz (the exception), bath, jammies, books, and bedtime at 7.

Depending on how she slept was going to be the deciding factor as to whether or not we would take her to daycare. The specialist had specifically said she could go back the next day but we would have to watch the food. Well, she slept great all night long and woke up in good spirits. I had checked out the food menu earlier in the week and made a few snack substitutions but otherwise she was good to go. She did great! We did soft foods until Saturday and then tried our luck with lasagna. I wasn’t sure about the acidity but it didn’t seem to bother her at all. By day 7 she was eating hard cereal and animal crackers again. The mouth seems to heal very quickly.

2 weeks had passed and I took her to her post appointment. Dr. Paul took a quick look in her mouth, she was not a fan of that, and said that all had healed well.

So all in all, the surgery went well, Makenzie was a huge trooper and it was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Keeping occupied in the waiting room


Hanging with Da Da


My blanky, my bed, and some FaceTime with Elmo


Hanging with mommy after the procedure



At home, recovering. Mommy calls these my Angelina Jolie lips.



Buzz always makes me feel better!

Before procedure




4 thoughts on “Upper Lip Tie Aftermath

  1. Mary Streblow says:

    She sure sounded like she was a good little patient. Good pics of the before & after lip tie procedure. Also the other pics are sure cute ones too.

  2. Helen Wieczorek says:

    Thank you for sharing the pictures. She sure is a little darling. I am happy that every thing went so well. Hope we can get together when winter is over. I don’t go to far from home this winter. God bless all of you.

  3. Amanda says:

    My daughter emerald almost 2 is having the exact same procedure very soon. Im a little nervous for her. Are they given gas to put them asleep before giving the actual ga?
    I’m glad your daughters surgery went well, thanks for information it has helped me understand it a little more.
    I did look into laser instead which many people seem to do, but Holding my daughter down/still during laser without pain relief didn’t seem very kind,
    Kind regards
    Amanda x
    – Melbourne Australia

    • stacy says:

      Hi Amanda! I had the same feeling with laser, I definitely couldn’t picture myself holding her down during the procedure. She was put under with general anesthesia and they warned us she would wake up very upset, confused and inconsolable but she was perfectly fine. They one and only thing that seemed to bug her was the pulse oximeter monitor they had on her little finger. 😀 Good luck to you and to Emerald, she will be just fine. 👍

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s